Tuesday, November 22, 2011

"You look like a runner."

Hubba, wha??  Yet so said my nurse this morning as she was setting up the IV in my left arm-crook, prepping me for the maintenance drugs I receive once a month to keep the cancer-beasties at bay.  She had asked me if I was an athlete, and when I replied, "Yes, I run," she nodded knowingly and told me I look like a runner.  I am taking this as a tremendous compliment, especially the 'athlete' part.  I live in Denver.  There are Real athletes out here.  I don't consider it fair to count myself among their ranks.  Yes, I am a tiny bit more than a recreational runner, but I am certainly no "athlete."  Apparently, though, I look the part, and I am starting to feel the part. 

Yesterday, with only a small amount of trepidation, I went for a run in the morning.  I ran all four of the miles that my training plan called for.  That makes twice in three days I've run over four miles, the first time I've done that since August.  After August's Colorado Relay, I burned out pretty hard.  I was dealing with the facetumor and a tremendous amount of stress at work and a vague but persistent Sickness.  Running regularly was not high on my to-do list, although I still biked everywhere and walked quite a lot.  I managed to maintain something of a level of fitness so that when I finally started feeling Amazing about a month ago, that whole running thing wasn't such an epic battle to begin again.

So I look like a runner for the first time maybe ever.  Surely that's a good first step on the road to being a marathoner, rocking Boston in less than five months.  As long as you Look the part, right?  But in truth, I can't believe how strong I feel.  I've said this before and I will probably say it many more times, but it never ceases to amaze me the things we can do, particularly in terms of physical feats.  I was sick for so long - for five long years, I have struggled with feeling unwell.  Now, here I am, almost exactly five years after my diagnosis with acute leukemia, training for a marathon, biking everywhere, eating so healthily, and feeling like I can take over the world.  And apparently, looking like a runner.  Five years.  But that's a post for another day (probably Thursday, actually).

I really hope everyone is having a Spectacular week.  Do you have your turkey thawed out yet?  Did you find something to look forward to today?  Tomorrow?  I'm looking forward to a concert I'll be photographing tomorrow night.  Keep on keeping on, and happy Thanksgivings a wee bit early.  Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment